Canada Running Series has a longstanding commitment to producing sustainable events in our community and is excited for the Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon & 5k‘s invitation into the Council for Responsible Sport‘s Inspire program! The new Inspire program recognizes the sustained commitment of events that have been certified multiple times and challenges them to mentor industry peers and share their stories. The Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon & 5k is the fourth event to earn Inspire status and the first to do so in Canada. It is the second event to earn Inspire status at the Gold level.
“The Inspire program grants events and organizers with proven records of hosting certified responsible events a position of exemplary leadership within the community of organizers positively influencing the sports events industry,” said the Council’s managing director Shelley Villalobos.
“We are pleased to welcome the Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon & 5k to the Inspire program this year. We hope to elevate the level of attention to the exemplary work organizers have been doing for several years now with regards to zero waste, procurement, access, and community legacy at the event.”
Highlights of achievements in the past include:
- 98% Waste Diversion Rate for our Expo, Start Area, Finish Area, and course with Green Chair Recycling
- All discarded clothing from Start Area collected and donated to shelter programs
- Majority of food purchased is locally and/or organically produced, with surplus food being donated to local food banks
- Striving for Carbon-Neutral – all event operations and 50% of local participant travel was offset with carbon credits in 2015
- Free post-event shuttles and bike valet reduce two-way trips and car drops
- Marketing materials are printed using biodegradable inks on FSC certified paper
In 2017, the Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon & 5k will expand upon these achievements by replacing all generators at the start/finish venues with pollution-free power stations and solar panels. Recycling and waste reduction initiatives will continue to be fine-tuned and the event will expand upon the bike valet program in Stanley Park.
Events may opt into the Inspire program on an invitation only basis after earning two consecutive certifications from the Council (certification is good for two years). The Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon & 5k earned an invitation in 2017 after first becoming certified in 2013 at the Silver level, and earning a recertification at the Gold level in 2015. Program participation entails three core requirements including annual reporting on key performance indicators, mentorship of another event or organization on a specific aspect of their responsible sport programming and sharing the event’s responsible sport story publicly.