Make every step count for your community.
The Scotiabank Charity Challenge unites the spirit of runners with a unique fundraising program to help create a stronger future for young people and build vibrant communities.
In 2019, participants raised over $1.3 million for 70+ community charities through the Scotiabank Charity Challenge at the Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon & 5K. Your hard work and commitment to fundraising made a significant impact in our communities.
By helping one of our official charities reach their goals while you are achieving yours! As Scotiabank covers all the fees associated with online fundraising, 100%* of the funds you raise will go directly to your chosen charity.
We all run for different reasons. We encourage you to run for what moves you!
Register for the Virtual Half-Marathon, 10K or 5K Run / Walk at this years’ Scotiabank Vancouver Half-Marathon, 10K & 5K. During the process of registration, you’ll be given the option to sign up for the Scotiabank Charity Challenge to fundraise for a participating charity.
Congratulations on helping surpass $78 million raised!
In 2019 alone, you and other runners helped raise over $8.5 million dollars for over 550 charities across Canada. In fact, since the Scotiabank Charity Challenge began in 2003 you’ve helped raise over $78 million – which went directly to charities across Canada to create a stronger future for young people and build vibrant communities.
*Scotiabank pays for online transaction fees when fundraisers use the online fundraising platform.
Click below for a list of participating Charities in the 2020 Scotiabank Charity Challenge.
Join the Charity Challenge
How to fundraise
- Already registered for the event and would like to fundraise?
- Follow the directions below.
- Select the charity you would like to to fundraise for
Click here for the list of official charities of the 2020 Scotiabank Charity Challenge.
Would you like to raise money for a charity that is not listed? The charity must register before May 1st. Please ask them to review the Become an Official Charity section.
- Contact the charity: It’s beneficial
We recommend you contact the charity prior to signing up. They may have some additional information to share with you, including fundraising tips, and potential fundraising incentives!
- Sign-up for the Scotiabank Charity Challenge
Click register and complete the form. By following each step, you will enroll in both the race and fundraising program.
- Registration confirmation
Once registered, you will receive two confirmation emails:
- An email for your virtual race entry – Transaction Receipt – with confirmation number
- An email with link to access your personal fundraising page.
- Start fundraising!
Customize your personalized fundraising page. Add some photos and share your story to appeal to your friends, family and colleagues. 100%* of funds raised will go to the charity of your choice.
Be sure to share updates about your fundraising on social media using #runScotia and #ScotiaHalf
*Scotiabank pays for online transaction fees when fundraisers use fundraising platform.
Become an Official Charity
Charities must be a registered Canadian charity in good standing with the CRA. Participating charities must register before May 1st, 2020.
Summary of the benefits of participating in the Scotiabank Charity Challenge:
- Participation in a large-scale community event without running any financial risk, allowing donations to take precedence over logistics.
- Scotiabank assumes most of the costs associated with fundraising, so every dollar received goes directly to the cause.
- Charities and fundraisers are given free access to Race Roster, an online platform that allows runners to easily automate their fundraising.
We are now accepting registrations from charities to join the 2020 Scotiabank Charity Challenge!
Do you represent a charity and would like more information on becoming an official charity in the Scotiabank Charity Challenge? Please download our 2020 Scotiabank Charity Challenge Information Package for more details.
Contact us and we will be pleased to provide you with all of the details you need to participate.
- Robert Tucker, Vancouver Charity Coordinator; email@example.com
Charity Challenge FAQ
You can still fundraise!
Set up a personalized fundraising page if you are already registered for the run
- Select the charity you want to support from the list of official charities
- Click on “Fundraise” then the “Sign Up” button and enter your information. Please make sure you have already registered for the race
- Fundraise on your own or join a team and fill in your information.
Note : This step will only register you for a fundraising account, and will not re-register you for the race!
I had participated in the Scotiabank Charity Challenge last year, can I use the same Username as last year?
Yes, if you created a profile through Race Roster then your information should be saved on the Registration System.
How do I make a donation to an Individual or a Team?
- Select a charity from the list of Official Charities
- Locate the SEARCH field
- Enter the name of the individual or team and make your donation!
How do I make a donation to a Charity?
- Select a charity from the list of Official Charities
- Click on the « Donate » button
I represent a Canadian Charity and want to register the charity to participate in the Scotiabank Charity Challenge. How do I register the charity?
See how to Become an Official Charity above.
Can I register several people to the Scotiabank Charity Challenge using the same form?
Yes you can! More information to come soon.
I registered for the Scotiabank Charity Challenge, but I have not received or I cannot find the confirmation email.
Don’t worry! Not receiving these emails does not necessarily mean that the registration was not completed. First, check your spam emails. Still nothing? Contact us and we will proceed with verification or click here to verify whether you are on the registration confirmation list.
How do I change an email address on my fundraising page?
- Log into Race Roster Account
- Click on Sign In
- Edit the Email Address field
- Click Submit
Is there a Scotiabank Employee Program?
There is a Scotiabank Employee marathon program available in each Scotiabank-sponsored Marathon market. Complete details are available on ScotiabankLive/Marathons. Email our Charity Challenge Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
How do I get a paper pledge form?
Find your charity from the list of Official Charities contact your charity to find out if a paper pledge for is available for that charity.
What do I do with my cash and cheque pledges?
Please ensure you make arrangements with the Administrator of the Charity listed on the each charity listing to drop off any cash and/or cheque pledges on race day, at their office, or mail the pledge form and cheques to their office.
What are the extra prizing the Charities can receive?
Scotiabank offers nine additional cash prizes for the top three charities in three different categories.
The categories are:
- Official Charity with the largest total dollars raised
- Includes all online and offline verified donations to Fundraising Runners, Fundraising Teams, and the Charity directly.
- Official Charity with the largest number of fundraisers
- Charities must have a minimum of 10 fundraising runners registered. Fundraising runners can be registered in any combination of running events. Only donations made directly to the individual are used in the calculation.
- Official Charity with the largest average dollars raised per fundraiser
- Charity must have a minimum of 10 fundraising runners registered. The average dollars raised will be calculated based on individual fundraising runner totals only. Donations made to fundraising teams or the charity will not be included in the calculation.
- Prizes for each official charity are calculated based upon funds raised (online or verified offline) by individual registrants and teams registered for a specific charity.
- Online fundraising (credit card donations) will close on Monday, July 28th, 2020 at 5:00pm PST.
- Cash and cheque donations must be entered in the fundraising system by Monday, July 27th, 2020 at 5:00pm PST.
- All offline donations (cash and cheques) must be verified by charity administrators by Monday, July 27th, 2020 at 5:00pm PST.
- Fundraising totals and awards will be based on online donations and manually entered donations through the Race Roster system by Monday, July 27th, 2020 at 5:00pm PST. Offline Funds not entered into the system will not be counted towards totals for prizing.
- A charity cannot win more than one award. In the event that your charity wins/places in more than one category, the prize will be awarded in the category in which you win/place by a bigger margin of victory. The margin is the percentile difference between the winning charity and the next winning charity margin is the percentile difference between the winning charity and the next winning charity.
- A fundraising runner is a registrant who has raised more than $50 (Online and offline verified donations made directly to the fundraising runner.)
Contact Us about the Scotiabank Charity Challenge
If you have a question or comments about the Vancouver Scotiabank Charity Challenge, email us at email@example.com. We will be happy to answer you as soon as possible.